Wednesday, August 8, 2012

God is in the details!

Today, I had jury duty. 

I have no problem serving my civic duty, but since the kids were scheduled to be at the child care center at Dave's work, I thought it would be the perfect day to go to Harrisburg and get our dossier apostilled.

We didn't get some of the required documents the night before and I was actually called in to jury duty  (sometimes they excuse you the night before), so there went my plans for the day.

So I woke up, trudged down to the courthouse and as soon as I sat down, we got a call from our social worker saying all of the documents were at my doorstep.  This didn't do me much good as I was sitting in the jury room.

At 10:35 am, the court official informed us that they needed 45 people to head up to the court room.  There were only 52 people in the room.  When they called the 45th number, I immediately started crying.  I wasn't called!  There was nothing they could do with the 7 remaining jurors, so I knew I would be let out!  2 of the women next to me that were also left immediately asked if I needed a tissue and if I was ok.  I told them about E.

So then there are 3 women bawling and we had an awesome, God-filled conversation about our adoption. They waited until all of the called jurors left the room and then the court staff dismissed us.   The remaining folks rushed me to the front of the line so I could be scanned out.  Before I could dash out, one of the sweet older women took my shoulders, looked me square in the eye and told me that her parents had adopted her.  Though she probably gave them some grief about being adopted when she was a spring chickadee (her words, not mine), she now realizes the amazing feat of love adoption is.  She then hugged me with all of her 72 year old might.

I cried. And then I dashed out of the courthouse.

I sped home, got the documents in order, and made my way to Harrisburg.  By 2 pm, all of my documents were apostilled. At 2:15 pm, I realized that I totally forgot to feed the parking meter in my rush, and found no ticket on my car when I returned!  By 4 pm, I was home and the documents were nestled into their Fed Ex envelope, en route to the agency.

What are the odds of me not being picked for jury duty?   What are the odds that one of the 7 of us not picked would have such a powerful adoption story? What are the odds that parked RIGHT IN FRONT of the state capitol with state cops EVERYWHERE I would not get a ticket??

That is God.  And I truly believe He is in the details of our lives! And more importantly, yours too!

2 comments:

  1. God deserves a special Gold Sticker or something. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Think God would be fine with a regular gold sticker and not the $15 kind??

    ReplyDelete